Half a million job-hunters taken off benefits and into work in less than six months

NEARLY half a million job-hunters have been taken off benefits and into work in less than six months.A drive launched in January has broken all..

NEARLY half a million job-hunters have been taken off benefits and into work in less than six months.

A drive launched in January has broken all records and astounded employers and ministers.


Half a million job-hunters taken off benefits and into work in less than six months
Therese Coffey ordered the ‘Way to Work’ crusade to fill the soaring number of vacancies

Work and Pensions Secretary Therese Coffey ordered the “Way to Work” crusade to fill the soaring number of vacancies as the economy recovers from Covid.

She set a target of getting 500,000 back in work by the end of June — and is close to pulling it off.

Latest figures put the count at over 485,000 last week.

A record of almost ten per cent of benefit claimants moved into work during April alone.

Read More on Politics


Half a million job-hunters taken off benefits and into work in less than six months

THE SUN ON SUNDAY SAYS

Pull your finger out Boris Johnson if you want to stay PM


Half a million job-hunters taken off benefits and into work in less than six months

TONY PARSONS

Spineless Keir always sits on fence - do we really want him to replace Boris?

It is the latest success in the Government’s “jobs miracle” which has brought unemployment to an almost 50-year low.

PM Boris Johnson hailed the achievement, saying: “It’s fantastic news.”

Ms Coffey said: “Reaching this target will mean half a million more households earning a wage with better prospects for the future.

“New rules require job-ready claimants to broaden their search after a month to include sectors new to them.

“The DWP also worked with employers to streamline recruitment practices.”