FORTNITE’S explosive Season 7 finale is a wrap and Season 8 is live, bringing all out war with it.
Epic Games one time Fortnite: Operation Sky Fire event saw players survive an exploding Mothership that rained down a multitude of cubes across the map.
Fortnite Chapter 2 Season 8 cubes
Fortnite Chapter 2 Season 8 cube
Fortnite Season 8 new map
You can watch the Operation Sky Fire recap video on the Fortnite YouTube channel to get all caught up.
The servers were down for maintenance as is always the case for big updates, but now they’re back, and here’s everything that’s new for Fortnite Season 8.
What’s new in Fortnite Season 8?
- The Sideways: The cubes are opening up rifts to the Sideways, which is a dark reality full of monsters. These Sideways Anomalies create Sideways Zones. You’ll need to arm up with special Sideways weapons to take them on, like the Sideways Rifle and Sideways Minigun. The Sideways’ low gravity also means you won’t be able to build anything.
- The Cubes: Cubes are scattered all over the map, spreading corruption – especially near the crashed Mothership. Rummage through these areas to find Shadow Stones. Consuming them will render you almost invisible, buffs certain stats, and lets you phase through structures. The trade-off is you can’t use weapons while under the effects of the stones.
- War Effort: Donate Bars to construction sites for Turret Stations. Further down the line, players will be able to decide which new weapons to develop, and which to unvault.
Fortnite Season 8 map
Looking at the Fortnite Season 8 map above, you’ll see that all of the named POIs (points of interest) are still the same as Season 7.
There are a couple of tweaks, like Slurpy Swamp, Corny Complex, and Holly Hatchery now appearing as Sludgy Swamp, Corny Crops, and Holly Hedges.
The orange areas of the map are where players can find Sideways Anomalies.
Enter the anomalies to find Sideways weapons, but watch out for the monsters inside.
Sideways Zones are areas on the map where the shady dimension is spilling over onto the island.
They rotate around the map, so stay on your toes and keep an eye out for them.
Fortnite Season 8 patch notes
We’re still waiting for Epic to drop the Fortnite v18.00 patch notes and will post them here as soon as they’re live.
- Read the latest stories for PS5
- Keep up-to-date with all the Xbox news
- Read the latest gaming news
Call of Duty: Warzone and Black Ops Cold War players can grab free in-game loot right now with Prime Gaming.
Speaking of Call of Duty, the Vanguard beta continues this weekend, and it’s open to all platforms.
And get ready for a bunch of PS5 restocks this week at UK retailers.